Saturday, June 22, 2013

"I'm more interested in what I discover than what I invent." (Paul Simon) (Entry 21, Day 8)

Saturday, 1 June 2013; 9:58 PM; our room

Sorry about that last, super-brief entry.  I thought I had more time than I actually did.

We went to the Inca museum today, which was quite interesting (see earlier notes.  The only drawback I found with it was the lack of adequate translations.  Sometimes, there were just one or two letters messed up in any given panel, which is forgivable.  Other times there were letters, verb forms, and subjects of the sentences all jumbled, which made it kind of confusing.  Still, this isn't an English-dominant country; you can't expect them to use perfect English grammar all of the time.  The Smithsonian or some other museums probably do something similar sometimes.

After the Inca museum, where I finished twenty minutes before everyone else and was gawked at by some Peruvian girls who probably didn't expect a white girl to know how to make bracelets like they sell on the streets of Cuzco, we went to another artist-y market.  I realized last night that I had gotten two left-hand gloves for James; I got a new pair, and one for myself, and a hat there.  I am officially in love with Alpaca wool, yarn, and everything.

Speaking of Alpacas, I got some photos of them today.  Young girls will frequently dress up in traditional wear and lead their Alpacas around and tell you that you can get a photo for one soles (about 40 cents).  I got incognito photos, mostly because the closest I normally get to having a single soles when on the street was having 80 centavos or 10 soles.  I had a 2 soles coin at one point today, but I think I had to give it to Mom for a purchase.  We'll be in Cuzco after the trek - I have hereby put 'Get A Proper Photo With An Alpaca" on my Cuzco bucket list.

After the market and such, we went to get a snack at some cafe that had 'dragon' in the name.  It was quite good - I had a fruit bowl, but it was a good fruit bowl.  The one thing I learned from that fruit bowl is that I don't like papayas.

For dinner (after the briefing about the trek, which made me both excited and terrified), I had spaghetti and a milkshake that was so sugary and lactose-heavy that I felt sick.  The feeling has now passed; as I have to wake up at 5:00 tomorrow morning, I must now go to bed and sleep and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment