Sunday, June 16, 2013

"Do not go where the path may lead..." (Ralph Waldo Emerson) (Entry 7, Day 2)

Sunday, 26 May, 2013; 1:39 PM; Rainforest Expedition Headquarters

Well, here we are, waiting for the bus to come to take us to the boat to take us to the three-hour ride to the hotel.

We landed here among the rainforest trees, which is perhaps the only time I've had a plane land in a place that has trees - an entire forest - within fifty feet of the landing pad.

Then we boarded the expedition bus, and drove about fifteen minutes until we got to the headquarters.

There are four domesticated animals (I'm pretty sure): a super-skinny black cat, a tabby (I think) that looks normal, a black dog that I didn't get a photo of, and a dog that looks like he's got something wrong with his skin (and his balls, but the condition looks the same).



That one's been asleep for the hour that we've been repacking and stuff - though it is kind of warm out (I'm pretty sure it's the worms making him tired, though).

Apparently, swimming can be a thing on the boat ride - I forgot my swimsuit, though, which is unfortunate.  I asked if I could just go swimming in my unders, which my mother objected to immensely.  Ah, well. (In my defense, they're camping unders, so they dry quickly).

Anyway, I got a photo of the black dog. I think he may have a bum leg, but that could just be the angle I saw it at.


*later, on the bus*

The setting here is really cool.  It looks like what you would stereotypically think of in a safari film thing.  There are trees growing here and there, around the border, but there are also enclosed (flushing!) bathrooms and worn-out water coolers and thatched roofs on open-air structures.

We're on the bus, with a snack, about to head out.  Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment