Sunday, June 16, 2013

"Do not go where the path may lead..." (Ralph Waldo Emerson) (Entry 8, day 2)

Sunday, 26 May, 2013; 9:07 PM; the super-fancy hotel

First off, when I say "super-fancy," I don't mean the stereotypical super-swanky hotel.  They don't have AC, hot water, washcloths, or phones in the rooms.  There isn't phone service, period, and the electricity goes off at 9:30 every night.

So why do I call it super-fancy?  Because it's super-cool!  It's wood-built and run on alternative electricity - a lot of generators, sun (but not much), propane, and gas.  There's electricity from 12:00 - 1:00 PM and 5:00 - 9:00 PM.  At night, which falls at 5:30 (like, use-your-headlamp-you-can't-see-sh*t-it's-the-rainforest), you use candles, kerosene lamps, and flashlights.  Much of it is open-air - we have no back wall in the room and mosquito nets over the beds.  They have an open bar, too.  I had my first proper bit of alcohol tonight at dinner.  It was gross.  It was Pisco - some grape-based liquor that with something like lime and maybe ginger, which made it burn as it went down.  One lady in our group mentioned that, as a first drink, it was rather strong.

Anyway, the afternoon was long and interesting.  I have to go to bed now, because my alarm goes off at 5:00 tomorrow.

I don't like mornings that start that early.

No comments:

Post a Comment