Thursday, July 23, 2015

Writing and Music

I've definitely posted on this before - how writing, especially instrumental playlists, can help write a scene and set a mood. Movie soundtracks are especially good for this kind of thing, because movie soundtracks are scored with the purpose of invoking a certain mood.

In light of that, this post is all about the actual music - what I, personally, listen to when I write for a particular kind of scene. I'm titling each kind of scene by its TV tropes name, with a link to the TV tropes description if you're not familiar with that kind of trope. I'll put the top five songs I like (and maybe a few more if there's a lot of ways to write it).

Keep in mind that I primarily write fantasy adventure with romantic subplots. I listen to music that doubles onto a playlist I listen to when running.

HERE WE GO!


Beginnings:

It Began With A Twist of Fate

1. Concerning Hobbits by Howard Shore, from Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
2. Toy Soldiers by Carbon Leaf
3. Geronimo by Sheppard
4. The World is Ahead by Howard Shore, from The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey
5. Paloma by Carbon Leaf

Hero's First Rescue

1. Roundtable Rival by Lindsey Stirling
2. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
3. Ragtime Carnival by Carbon Leaf
4. Bloody Good Bar Fight Song by Carbon Leaf
5. Battlefield by Jordin Sparks

Relationship moments:

Big Damn Kiss/ Dance of Romance

1. I'll Be by Edwin McCain
2. Faithfully by Journey
3. Flying Without Wings by Westlife
4. Story of my Life by One Direction, covered by The Piano Guys
5. River Flows in You by Yiruma

BONUS:
6. Glitter in the Air by P!nk
7. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
8. Thunder Road (live version) by Bruce Springsteen
9. I Know the Reason by Carbon Leaf
10. Just A Dream/ Just the Way You Are from Pitch Perfect

Climax:

Final BattleLast Dance

1. Someone Like You (or Rolling in the Deep) by Adele
2. The Steward of Gondor, sung by Billy Boyd, from Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3. It's My Life by Bon Jovi, from This Left Feels Right Album
4. Viva La Vida by Coldplay
5. Fight Song by Rachel Patten

BONUS:
6. Duel of the Fates from Star Wars: the Phantom Menace
7. Anything from the Pirates of the Caribbean series
8. Quite a bit from Lord of the Rings
9. In Remembrance (particularly for Last Dance trope) - link here

Ending:

And The Adventure Continues

1. Out of the Woods by Taylor Swift
2. Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root
3. Dreamer by Elizaveta
4. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
5. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

The Fellowship Has Ended (and the Fast Forward to the Reunion)

1. Long Live by Taylor Swift
2. Goodbye Song by Elizaveta
3. One Day by Hans Zimmer, from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
4. The Boys of Summer by The Hooters
5. Sympathy by the Goo Goo Dolls
6. Red by Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment