Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top Ten Favorite Places To Write

So, being a writer, that means I write a lot. Obviously. That also means I've done some writing in some interesting places. (or, rather, not-interesting places. I'm sometimes not an interesting person.)

Here's a foray into the Top Ten Places I Like To Write:

1. At my desk.

because nothing says "productive" like spending an hour trying to clear off a messy space, only to write in it for 30 minutes. Maybe there's a reason my desk is messy. I don't know. But seriously, though, desks are made for productivity, so it's good to use them as such.

2. At A Coffee Shop.

I know this is the Biggest Writer Trope Ever, but that's because, in coffee shops, there's Wi-Fi, caffeine, and plenty of people to make up stories about. Just don't forget your headphones, in case you need/ want to ward off inquisitive souls or provide your own soundtrack. (it can be difficult to write a gruesome death scene to the sounds of coffee shop music.)

3. On A Train.

Given that train rides tend to be an hour or more, it's a good time to do a lot of things - think, write, not talk to the person next to you if it's crowded. If you're on a long ride at a weird time (my preferred train is at around 7:30 AM), that means you can spread out all your notes.

4. On A Plane

I don't do this one often, because I haven't found myself on a plane in over a year, but as long as you have a small notebook or laptop and seat partner that doesn't get easily flustered, this is a good way to while away the time and distract yourself from the cramped seats.

5. Long Car Rides

I don't often get motion sickness, so this is feasible for me. If you DO get motion sickness, then sleep for the duration of the ride and then write about your dreams when you wake up.

6. In The Library

Since I'm in college, the local library on campus is research-oriented. When I'm in the Stacks (aka the quiet floor) and I get a desk by the window, that allows an afternoon of writing AND the chance to do research if I need to.

7. On My Bed.

It's comfortable. That is all.

8. On The Couch.

See #7.

9. While waiting for trains/ planes/ public transportation.

You have time to sit. Just make sure that you have a quick place to stash your writing materials when your mode of transportation arrives.

10. On The Metro/ Subway/ Public Transportation.

This is another time for the Headphone Defense. I usually hand-write my first drafts, so it's easy to do this one, but those who work exclusively on laptops might not be so lucky. All of us are out of luck if traveling during rush hour and can't find a seat. In that case, I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment