Monday, July 27, 2015

The academic downsides of being an English Major

As a student of English, Journalism, and Classics, I've learned a whole lot, from How To Write An Essay, When Not To Start Writing An Essay, How To Interview For An Article, and How To Plan A Zombie Apocalypse.
Of course, in this wealth of knowledge I have acquired, there are still some less-fun things about my course-work.
That, of course, is textbook prices.
While science students are saddled with textbooks well over $200, they only need one overpriced book per semester, and a few smaller books; the rental prices are comparable, the buyback prices are good, and used can save some money.

As an English major, my bottom line in textbooks, once you count shipping, is quite comparable. If I buy all used and get shipping costs, I may have to spend over $300 for my 18 textbooks.
yes, I have to buy 18 textbooks.
And that's not even the most I've had to buy in a single semester.

Sometimes, I think the incentive to go to college to get a job is to galvanize the students to get employment while in college, so they can afford textbooks like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment