Tuesday, July 14, 2015

On Myers-Briggs in Writing

So, according to a random online quiz I took in 10 minutes, my Myers-Briggs personality type is INFJ - Introvert, INtuitive, Feeling, Judging. If this random website is to be believed, I like my own circle of friends (fairly true), like big-picture concepts more than hard details (sometimes true), emphasize emotions rather than facts when making decisions (50-50), and I like control by planning everything WEEKS IN ADVANCE (This is obviously inaccurate, because I'm writing on a Myers-Briggs quiz I took 15 minutes ago and NOT the topic I had written in my planner three weeks ago.)

Obviously, not everyone is 100% Myers-Briggs 100% of the time. One time I saw a quiz that showed your type by percentage - 52% introvert, for example, based on your responses. If you just call yourself your Myers-Briggs all the time, it's too easy to call in extremes. I'm not ALL SOCIAL JUSTICE ALL THE TIME. I'm in a service fraternity and sometimes I volunteer over the summer. Is that more than most people? Maybe, but maybe not - I don't know your life. If you do, good for you. If you don't, get on that.

When writing characters, I think it's important to have a guideline type: a character who tends toward a certain combination, but maybe is only truly an extrovert by 2% response rate. Knowing this could allow you, the writer, to know how the characters could react to things - and where it's easy for them to swing the opposite way. If one character is 88% an introvert, this character is not going to make the first move on someone attractive without a friend there; if they're only 52%, then other factors could play into whether they speak to someone or not.
And where does the plot go from there?

No comments:

Post a Comment