Monday, October 1, 2012

On Finishing

Last night, at 12:17 AM, I finally completed a novel.  I don't know how many words it is, though I know it's about 300 pages (290-something, to be more precise) in my handwriting, and I don't know as of yet how well that translates to typed-up-ness. If I had to hazard a guess based on the infamous things called Math and Approximate Words per Page, the Math tells me it would come out between 103,000 and 115,000, but that seems way off to me.  If it's not way off, then I wrote more than I actually needed to, but that happened in November when I started the thing.
Also, cool thing: Chris Baty acknowledged the existence of the Ending of my novel.  I feel really cool.

Anyhow, onto the real thing:
Though I have written the last words of Romeo's journey in pen, the typing and the editing still needs to happen.  I need to see how many words I actually wrote, at the very least, but then I need to make it sound better than it already is (this is a very, very easy thing to do; it's the first draft, so it's its job to be kind of sucky).  I don't know what I'm going to do with it after I type it up and edit it a bit; maybe I'll edit it some more and then do something with it.  I really don't know.
I guess I could send it to a publisher, but I don't want to yet, because I'm a total amateur and I don't know what I'm doing.

But the significant part is over: the manuscript is written.  I haven't been through the entire process of writing/ editing/ editing/ sending a novel, so I don't know what the hardest part is.  But my personal major roadblock has been knocked down.  HUZZAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment