Thursday, September 27, 2012

Personal Style

There are two sorts of style when you write fiction: your style and the characters' style.  I can't really dictate the former, unless it involves "don't screw with your sentence structure and remember to proofread and spell-check," but it is possible to offer some advice on the latter.

Like people who are not in books, what you wear is often a part of who you are.  I, for example, wear jeans and a t-shirt every day; I only wear dresses if I have to go to something snazzy or if all my shirts are dirty, and I normally only wear one of the four dresses I brought (because it has POCKETS, which are the greatest invention ever, right behind Moose Tracks FroYo and bookstores).  This could either read "college student" (which would be completely correct) or "reasonably practical" (which I hope is correct).  If you work in high fashion and have to wear dresses and heels and need an hour in the mirror every morning, you could also view my jeans and lack of eyeliner as "lazy."  That's your choice.  I do not see myself in any situation where such effort is demanded of my personal appearance.

Similarly, the characters that have been written, both by myself and by others, also demonstrate themselves through their style.  I once wrote a character that was a knight.  There was a very good reason (her personal comfort and practicality for career choice) that she did not wear skirts and carry a purse everywhere.  First off, what knight wears a skirt?  Second off, you can't KEEP anything in a purse, especially if you're a knight.  Because she has spent so much time around guys (read: HER ENTIRE LIFE), she is not horribly in touch with her femininity and dresses pretty much like the guys do, both on holiday and in school (and in the adventure, because she has nothing else to wear and doesn't really mind it).

I know it sounds superfluous, but it actually does matter.  If you are writing a character where the difference between heels and flats is not going to make a difference in their career, then think about what else they would do: if they wear heels, fine.  If they don't, that's cool too.  If they show up to work in their beat-up hi-tops because they can, that's fine (I don't think too many jobs would actually let you do that, but it's your choice).

No comments:

Post a Comment