Monday, September 10, 2012

Week Two

Week two of college started today.  So far, it's still sort of manageable.
Greek is beginning to creep up on me, but I've established friendly contact with another freshman in my class, so I'll have a study buddy/ reference point if I'm confused about what the homework is.
I had a panic attack about whether or not I should stay in chorus, but I decided I should - music is my sanity, and the Requiem that we're doing, by John Rutter, is kind of amazing.  I love it, and we've only done a bit of two movements.
In Ancient Egypt, I have also established friendly contact with two other people (who are also in choir), and we're doing a mandatory major group project together.  We were initially going to do Cleopatra, because one of them was doing something on her for another class, but the professor apparently emailed him back, saying that 1) This is ANCIENT Egypt, not Egypt Transitioning out of the Dynasties, and 2) Cleopatra was technically Greek.  That was kind of unfortunate, so now we're thinking about doing Hatshepsut, because we covered her today and she seemed kind of cool.  She also seemed like kind of a butt, but whatever.  In all, I think she came up with a decent compromise - and if you're unfamiliar with Hatshepsut, look her up, because I don't have time to explain this.
In FYEC, we had class outside, where we saw a possum playing dead because a hawk was in a tree nearby.  After a few minutes, I think the hawk left; at any rate, the possum got bored of shutting itself down and woke up and walked away.  It had no relevance to the discussion of Buddhist and Taoist principles, except for the possum's being one with its state of being for a good ten minutes.
I also went to the activities carnival, where all the clubs try to get you to sign up for stuff.  I put down my name for so many things that I KNOW I'm not going to make, but I've got info now on everything from Outdoors Club to Campus Ambassador to a co-ed service fraternity (which, honestly, I'm more interested in rushing for than the sororities; YES, MOM, I'M GOING TO RUSH SORORITIES ANYWAY, BECAUSE I PAID THE MONEY AND YOU'RE MAKING ME DO IT AND EVERYONE SEEMS REALLY NICE ANYWAY).

So far it's been a good week, I think.  I'm getting used to being at college, though it still feels kind of odd to be living away from my parents and being responsible for my sleep and drinking orange juice and getting all my dairy and exercise and stuff.
Yes, Dad, I did discuss being Workout Buddies with one of my friends today, and I AM working on getting my daily orange and stuff.
And yes, one of my daily glasses of dairy IS chocolate milk.  I know it's not healthy, but still.  It's good.  I COULD BE DOING WORSE.  Like someone just outside our dorm who I think is drunk and trying to yodel or sing "We Are Young," or whatever that song is called.  It's kind of hard to tell.
But anyway, I need to go to bed now, because I have to study in the morning.  It's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment