Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Book to Life

Well, tonight marks the second time I've had an experience that reminds me of something I've read in some novel.  Well, the first time was something I wrote, but the first time is not the time we are discussing.
Anyhow, if you haven't read The Name of the Wind, by Pat Rothfuss, you NEED TO DO SO NOW, because it's a brilliant novel.  Also, this post will make no sense if you haven't read it.
But to the point.
So there's this one scene in The Name of the Wind where the main character, Kvothe, plays at a performance venue/ tavern place that is known for its musicians.  You can try for your pipes, which basically means being super talented and performing for judges and an audience, and if you do absolutely brilliantly you get a little charm that is universally recognized as a Sign of Musical Awesome, and you can go to a great number of places and show your pipes and get to play because of the prestige it takes to earn the pipes.
But to the point.
My friend did something similar tonight.  Though Ashland Coffee and Tea does not offer any sort of prestigious Sign of Musical Awesome, you can sign up for an open mic night that's held once a week.  You sing two songs, and the judges judge you, and the audience votes.  Once all the votes and scores are in, there are callbacks; after that, I guess you vote again and then a winner is chosen (I missed this part; I had to go do homework that still hasn't happened yet because of laundry).  Anyway, the cool bit is that the first place winner for each week gets called back for a Shootout (their term), which is a head-to-head of all the Weekly Winners of the past six months.  It's super cool.
I'm glad I went, though now I have to study.  Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment