Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Renaissance Festivals and Chances at Revelry

I got back from my school's fall break about an hour ago.  While I was on break, I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival.
See, the thing about Renn Fests is that they're not entirely historically accurate (there's a bit too much emphasis on fantastical elements, and the relevant wardrobes are closer to the Dark Ages than the Renaissance, but, honestly, the Dark Ages Festival sounds like a contradiction), but they are still an excuse to dress up in ridiculous costumes and go around and spend all your money on henna and hair braids and bodices and such.  Though they're not entirely historically accurate, they are still great fun.

What is also great fun is to send your characters into situations where they have to dress up (bonus points if they are uncomfortable doing it).  Sometimes this is necessary - they have to masquerade as some of the Evil Henchmen in order to find something out or to enact their Brilliant Plan - but sometimes it's just fun.  You could be following one character's whim; you could implant a plot point there anyway just to be annoying or fun.  You could have them go to a festival for the sake of having them go to a festival.  It could be interesting to see how your stingy character reacts to exorbitant prices on bodices or weapons or something of that nature.  Or one of their companions might have to say what I said to my friend, "_______, that's the most fan-girl-y squeal I have ever heard from you, and it's over a sword." (I am not kidding; I actually said something like that on Saturday).
Festivals are also good plot points on any scale.  Information, relationships, characters, plot twists, random encounters, and the odd fistfight can all happen there, and I will be very impressed if you are able to incorporate all of those into that one day.

Until that day, however, farewell!  Homework awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment