Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Question of Eggs

I recently saw the 1999 chick flick, "Runaway Bride." It's not very thought-provoking, but it definitely works if you're looking for a few hours of humor financed by the wedding industry.

Richard Gere plays a reporter doing a story on Julia Roberts's character, who has run away from three (going on four) weddings. When he's asking her ex-grooms about her, he asks them how she takes her eggs. They all say different things, but almost all end with the words, "just like me." Richard Gere's very serious theory is that nobody should be getting married to someone else if they don't come to an independent conclusion about how to eat their own eggs. This is supposed to be the major insight into Julia Roberts's psychology. 

I don't understand this logic. For one thing, I don't think egg preparation should be telling about someone's personality. For many years, I would only eat scrambled eggs. Then I discovered the omelette bar at school. Now my favorite way is to have a single egg fried so the yolk is hard and put into a whole wheat toast sandwich with buckwheat honey. Maybe I should change one more time just to make sure my Egg Preference Change Score is even with Julia Roberts. Maybe I should act like my friend W, who takes his eggs "cooked." (Since my new favorite kind of egg prep is so specific, I feel like I should adopt this response to the question; I really will take my eggs most ways that will prevent food-borne illness. Also, I never realized buckwheat honey existed until about two weeks ago.)

The other reason the egg question doesn't quite make sense is that it's supposed to be the big revelation about how Julia Roberts is not quite in fine tune with her own preferences - she just goes along with the standard order of her partner. The thing is, you can kind of tell that she's not quite in fine tune with her own preferences if she's had three weddings and zero marriages. That might be indicative of other things as well, but I'm not a psychology major, so I wouldn't know. 

In the end, the question of eggs might be out of place a little, but it's worth pondering for college students with blogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment