Monday, August 4, 2014

On History

You know those time capsule things that people do sometimes? I think they were popular in the early 2000s. I know my mom had my brother and me put one together when I was around six or seven. We wrapped a Quaker Oats container in a piece of construction paper, drew all over the front, and put things that we liked in there. I don't remember much of what we put inside - I know a Pokemon card was one thing, but I don't remember what else. After we had put stuff in, we put the top back on and put it in a closet. (of course, a week later I wanted my Pokemon card back, so I tried to dig it out of the time capsule and put it back in my binder. I'm not sure where that card is now.)
There's a project I've been working on that has similar implications as a time capsule, but you can't dig it out of the closet and quickly find your Pokemon card. This goes back thirteen years, and the Pokemon card is at the center. (no, I don't start my yarn balls with Pokemon cards).
Yes, I have a ball of yarn scraps that dates back to when I first started working with yarn, when I was around 7. It's now around 28 inches around, not counting the bits and pieces I haven't put onto it yet. It's bigger than my head. It's almost as big as my waist. (It probably will be as big as my waist by the time I'm done with it.) What's great about this, though, is that you have to make an entire project with it in order to peel back the years. It's crazy.
Part of me doesn't want to do anything with it - keep it rolling until I'm an old granny, and then when I have grandkids I'll make each of them a going-off-to-college blanket, because I'll have enough yarn in it by that point. At the same time, I kind of want to start now.
Don't believe it? Here it is:


The beauty of it is that if I have to add more, there are plenty of points where I can stop the main flow of yarn, untie the knots, add in whatever I need to add in, and then keep going. It's a continually growing project.
Of course, the continual growth does affect the time-capsule nature of the project, but if it's a changing project, it needs a changing set of yarn to go with it.
The beauty of making anything with a scraps ball is that nothing is exactly the same. Of course, all the knots lead to a lot of frustration, but the variety of textures adds to the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment