Monday, March 3, 2014

On Mondays

I don't mind Mondays.  I've got an afternoon of decent length, but it's definitively no longer the weekend. Also, when you have to do laundry on a Monday, it's not a good day.  (even though we had a snow day today, it still wound up being kind of lousy, because my laundry hampers broke, and I wound up not drying my extra set of sheets because only 1 handle of the 4 total actually functions.  Also, homework).
I do, however, like snow days. Well, not 'snow days,' necessarily.  I like morning delays.  I don't have my 8:00 or my 10:00 tomorrow (unfortunately, the latter is King Arthur, but I hadn't finished the reading... but all motivation for that finished when I learned it was canceled), so I'm definitely going to hang out with people after I finish this. I know that it's 10:15, almost, and, if I want to keep something of a regular sleep cycle, I should be going to bed sooner rather than later, but I'm still going to wake up before 8:00 tomorrow to finish my character sheet for D&D.

One thing I've noticed in college is that I've opened up more to the idea that joining friends after 10:00 PM is perfectly acceptable.  I know that all the 'cool kids' in high school didn't actually show up to an 8:00 dance until 9:30, but this is more casual than that.  I'm bringing some crafting stuff, for example, and hoping for the best.  (I'm actually going to have to hope for the best, because, now that I think about it, it might not be the greatest idea I've ever had).

I know this is a post that is covering a lot of topics all at once (I may be trying to avoid last week's Lazy Post again), but Lent begins on Wednesday.  I haven't figured out what I'm giving up for Lent yet (or taking on, for that matter), but I'm considering giving up dumb internet games and taking on writing and/ or Bible reading and/ or gym time.  I think the first step is to give up the dumb flash games, though, because they're pretty much the source of all my procrastination time thus far in the semester.  I think that, once I stop playing those dumb games, I'll actually be able to commit to other things in my life that demand greater importance.  I think, at its heart, that's what Lent is about - as people on the Internet so rightly point out, giving up chocolate doesn't necessarily make you a better person.  The point is not necessarily to become a better person - that's hopefully just a side effect.  I think the point of Lent is to commit to doing something that will bring you closer to God (or an ideal that you hold dear).  Is that really so bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment