Monday, March 24, 2014

Formulaic Posts: Checking out Checklists

So... here I am... on the couch... trying to think of something to post about... um... TO GOOGLE!

When one puts 'Blog Post Checklist' into Google, there are an astounding amount of hits (well, of course there are, it is Google). Still, there are a lot of people who insist that there are 10-12 points that bloggers MUST hit upon before hitting 'post,' and, as expected, there isn't a whole lot of variance.

1. TITLE
Make it catchy? I think I did... did I?

2. WRITE SOME STUFF. (A cool intro is cool.)
Blah. BlahBlahblahblah. Blargh. Tada! Cool intro done.

3. BREAK UP YOUR PARAGRAPHS.
So I'm assuming that means to not write up mammoth paragraphs that only the most dedicated readers (aka my mother... HI MOM!) would actually pay attention to. I don't think I'm doing this - at least, not in this post. Not yet, anyway. This sub-section might be getting up there. ON TO THE NEXT ONE!

4. INCLUDE A PHOTO
Here is a photo of my shoes from a few years ago. I need to figure out how to format that thing. Leaving that there for now.











5. INCLUDE KEYWORDS.
So.... include words that are easily searchable? Should I add this to the Checklist pileup in Google right now? How do I do that? Google says: "Let's give out diagrams that make it probably more complex than it really is." Can I skip this step? Getting a lot of page views is not my main concern (though more page views would be nice, it's not exactly what I'm trying to do with this... right now).

6. TAG A LOT.
I will do that upon completion of the post. So... 'checklist,' 'list,' 'random ideas from the internet,' 'things other people tell me are important,' 'rant,' 'joke,' 'humor...' am I missing anything?

7. EDIT.
But I'm not done yet! What if I make a major typographical error in writing step 9 that I completely overlook because I only edited steps 1 - 7? THEN what?

8. HIT PUBLISH!
But I'm not done yet!

9. STORM ALL THE SOCIAL MEDIA!
But I don't have any social media for this blog. I'm skipping this step.

10. GO HAVE SOME COFFEE.
Why not? You deserve some caffeine from all that hard writing, titling, paragraph-breaking, photo-posting, keyword-including, tagging, editing, publishing, and social media storming that you had to do in the last nine steps. If you don't like coffee, have some other beverage of your choice.


BONUS TIPS:

- Brand yourself
   Ha. Ha. Ha. Haven't done this at all.

-  Use a Call to Action.
   Yes. My Challenge to You: GO ON THE HERO'S JOURNEY. NOW. (not really; this is supposed to ask a question or ask for responses or whatever).

- Be Cool
  But that's easy, surely.


Right, I can't do any other shenanigans that are part of a cool, legit website, because I'm not a web designer. I don't have huge plans for this blog to go viral or anything like that. Though I do like posting things that I write on the Internet, and I've considered using AdSense on the blog, I don't think it would work very well.
There are two major reasons for this: firstly, because I don't think I get enough hits to actually make anything; secondly, because I dislike ads as much as the next person - if I wanted to run a monetized blog, I would probably create a new blog and follow all the steps and try to make it all fancy like all the sites suggest. That, however, is not this blog. That might change, but I don't know.

Call to action for all you hooligans: what do you think about the content of the post? It's not intended to be a set of Legitimate, Follow-Wild-Card's-Steps-Perfectly sort of thing, but did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment