Saturday, April 13, 2013

On NaNoWriMo and Nerdfighters

I recently started watching videos by John and Hank Green (their YouTube channel is called vlogbrothers; they call their fans nerdfighters).  John is a professional writer, and Hank does music.

Anyway, John did a video a few years ago on NaNoWriMo, and he pointed out something important.  Apparently, NaNo teaches you two very important things for Professional Writing: Discipline and to Allow Room for Suckiness.  Discipline, because you need to write every day, and Room for Suckiness, because you can't get everything right on the first try.

I hope this is good advice (I mean, it comes from a professional writer, so it's got to be good, right?), but I think it's worth listening to - if only because I want to be a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment