Sunday, August 26, 2012

The thing about generators...

I've always found generators hilarious. Not the generators like the ones that make power; generators like name and place generators (geez, this is a writing blog, what do you expect?). I've never understood what the formulas are for name generators, unless they're something like fantasy name generators that spit out things like "Gregory the Impaler" and "Playnaga the Damned." In these cases, you can put in twenty normal names, twenty describers, and have enough results to keep at least 400 people writing a little bit longer. I probably did the math wrong on that. I attribute it to the fact that I took Calculus, not Statistics (no, I didn't do well).
Nevertheless, I've found generators immensely useful in my writing. I've had more than a few characters who have been named by what has come out of these things. If you're in need of names for your characters or places or weird creatures or the title of your story/ novel/ poem/ work, my favorite two generator websites are seventhsanctum.com and nine.frenchboys.net. Some of the outputs are completely ridiculous, but some of them are quite useful. Being a writer of fantasy, names are odd almost as a rule, so the fact that I can hit a button a bunch of times and have something come out that I could consider using is a major plus. When I don't had access to a computer while I'm writing (I write by hand when I'm doing my first draft), what I often do for names of creatures or places is to pick out two or three things in the room and combine different parts of the words. For example, I'm in the basement right now on my laptop, and my trunk and suitcase are open, so I can easily see a lock, a printer, and a pillow (there are couches down here). The result of the combination of these names is Lorillow. I have absolutely no clue who or what a Lorillow is, but it sounds cool, and can probably make an appearance in the next novel I write, depending on what I need.
Anyhow, all Lorillows aside, naming things is an important thing about writing. I do not know about anyone else out there, but generally the name I start with is the name the character is stuck with for the rest of the story, so having the name be as close to perfect as possible is really important. This is where generators come in handy. However, if you keep hitting the "New Name" button, and you keep getting results but nothing sounds right, you should try coming up with your own.
There can be other ways to do it aside from combining names of stuff, but that is the main way I use when the generators fail me (it has happened). Sometimes, you could surprise yourself and come up with a perfect fit on the first try. What you can also do, if you're looking for something with some sort of significance but want it to be an uncommon name, is to look up the names of minor Greek and Roman deities (or minor deities from other mythologies, if that's your thing). There are TONS, and most people don't know about them, but if you use the names similar to the myths, the people who do know can say to themselves, "HAHA! I see what you did there, you clever writer, you!"
And I claim no copyright to Lorillows, for the record, but please comment if you're claiming it so nobody else uses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment