Friday, August 31, 2012

Bookstores and Meetings

Bookstores are wonderful places.  One can get lost in there for hours, and come out with their reading list doubled and the means to complete it (and, most likely, their bank account getting kind of low).  One can also find out, in their school's bookstore, that their class textbooks are there.  This is a very good thing - especially when one's professor has not told one that one's textbooks should be in one's possession.  Basically, I went to the bookstore, and found textbooks that I didn't know I needed, because my professor didn't post them online.  It was rather a surprise, but I was glad I could deal with it.  I don't know what was up with the professor not telling us about the textbooks, but whatever.
Anyhow, we also had group and individual meetings with our academic advisors.  My advisor is the professor of philosophy, and he seems really nice.  He asked about my interests - writing, knitting, performance, kind of ancient history and mythology - and recommended what to take over the next few semesters before I have to declare my major.  Apparently, the Greek professor's spouse works on archaeology at the Agora, which is SUPER COOL!
The best thing I got out of it was this, which is, I think, good advice for any freshman:
if you have something specific in mind for a major, and that major has a lot of courses that build on each other (as in, the course descriptions for courses in that major start with, "as a prerequisite, take _______"), start doing that soon.  Not right away, but definitely by your second semester of your sophomore year you should be signing up for building courses.  If you wind up not taking that major, it's still likely that whatever you took would count for your General Education credits.

Anyway, I have to go now.  Classes haven't even started yet, and I don't have summer work; HOWEVER, I have to do a lot of reading for my First Year Experience course on Monday.  Judging by the fact that the they gave us homework at the meeting this morning, and judging by the amount of work they gave us, this is going to be a hard course.  A very reading-heavy course.  Full of reading and deep thoughts.  The philosophy professor said, in parting from the individual meeting, that I might like the readings, because I do like so many things and perspectives and such, which is perfectly true.

Still, bookstores are wonderful places to be.  I'm pretty sure I could live in one if it was one of those bookstores that has a coffee shop right there.  FREE NOTEBOOKS, BOOKS, AND FOOD!  YAY!!!



Speaking of perspectives and views and such, please do comment or check off those things just below the posts (the things that say, "I say it's...." and has little check boxes next to it).  I've had more hits in the past week than I had my entire first year with my old blog; I want to know what you guys are thinking!  I really appreciate having people who are actually reading!

1 comment: