Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Yea or Nay: "Friends"

So I am rapidly coming to the end of the final season of the TV show FRIENDS. For reference, I was born within the twelve months preceding the release of the first episode, and so I was in fourth grade when the final episode aired. I have vague recollections of the show before middle and high school; in high school, one night of the choir tour my hotel roommates and I watched a few episodes of the show one night, because it was on before we went to bed. That and maybe a few passing references were the only real interactions I had with the show until Spring Break 2015. I signed up for a free month of Netflix and started watching. I recall rambling to a friend about how excited I was about Ross and Rachel in the first season.
The rest of the semester went by without much in the way of watching it, and then I signed up for Actual Paying Netflix and watched a lot of the episodes as I worked on knitting projects.
I now feel a little dumb for rambling about Ross and Rachel in March - at the beginning, they're so awkward about the relationship, but then WE WERE ON A BREAK happened. And then Ross started getting really annoying.
It's hard to quantify the time frame of everything in the show when watching 10 years worth of material in 10 months. There are a few hints in the show that serve as reminders to the time frame. One time Ross says that he and Rachel haven't dated for six years - my first thought was "no, you haven't dated since July... oh wait..."
So, do I like it? Yes. HOW YOU DOIN'? COULD I BE ANY MORE JOEY? (sorry...)
Is it totally a product of its time? Yes. The way the show handled the gender identity of Chandler's father would definitely be problematic today if the relevant episodes had been aired more recently. It also goes to show how much society has changed around the concept of gender identity and expression - I'm sure that, for the time, the presentation wasn't problematic at all.
In all, though, FRIENDS are.... friends. And I appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment