Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"The Fault In Our Stars" review

Before I do this, let me preface this by saying a few things:
1. this is my first real review. Please be forgiving.
2. I've been putting this off to go back over the book a second time. Guess what I didn't do? I did write down what I liked/ disliked, but it was a few days after I'd read it. Keep that in mind. I'll do better next time, honest.
3. I tend to be biased in favor of the positive. Think I'm over-praising something? Let me know; just do what I didn't and reread the book first.
4. There may be spoilers. You have been warned.

OFFICIAL REVIEW STARTS HERE

So this is a review of John Green's newest book, The Fault in Our Stars. Most of the time I don't read books that are primarily romances; in my limited experience with them, they tend to be corny, over-romanticize the love interest, and provide situations that sometimes violate the suspension of disbelief. This may be because my primary experience with romance novels include the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer and a lot of Meg Cabot novels, but it could be that romances are often written with those goals in mind.
That being said, The Fault in Our Stars does very little of that.
PLOT SUMMARY: Hazel Grace Lancaster, Age 16, has cancer and is very aware of her mortality. Augustus Waters then comes into her Cancer Kids Support Group one Wednesday night, and nothing is the same. Until the end.
ADDED SPOILER: In the end, Augustus dies.

That is a terrible summary, but I'm going to do the analysis stuff. THERE MAY BE SPOILERS.

GOOD STUFF:
  1. I really like Hazel's voice. Like good character development, Hazel's is subtle, until a moment of crisis occurs. In the beginning, she's all, "blargh de blargh i don't want to do anything i just want to sit on the couch and watch dumb TV and read this one book boiajo;efiwao;i...." Near the end, however, she has started hanging out more with Augustus and Isaac (their other friend), partly because Augustus's condition has worsened. It gets to the point where her parents ask her to stay home one night; after an argument, she basically tells them that she's going off because someone she cares about is GOING TO DIE SOON AND SHE WANTS TO GO SEE HIM.
  2. People idolize others all the time - especially recluses who have done something great. Hazel is no different. After Hazel introduces Augustus to her favorite book, Augustus is able to get them both the chance to meet the author. Turns out the author is... not okay. Drunk, etc. The important twist in his story comes at the end. I'm not spoiling that, but it's an interesting way to rework the "Childhood Hero Turns Out To Be A Wreck" trope without it all coming out in that one important scene.
  3. I like the humor. Hazel is very sarcastic and snarky, especially at the beginning; it's a blend that works for my sense of humor.

BAD STUFF
  1. Like many romance novel heroes, Augustus is a bit pretentious for most of the novel. This is partially why the end of his storyline is so saddening, but I wasn't sure I liked him for the first part of the book.
  2. I don't know how much Cancer Wish Foundations can pull off, but I don't know whether they would pull off Augustus's wish.
  3. Sometimes it was difficult to figure out how much time had passed. This may be due to my lack of a second reading, but I don't know if someone would take me to meet J.K. Rowling, John Green, or Patrick Rothfuss after a few weeks of possible dating. (I don't think my boyfriend would do that, and we've been dating for a solid three years).



Right, I know this is super rough, but I'm still muddling through How To Write A Review Without Going Into English Major Mode. Thanks for reading; come back on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment