Wednesday, June 18, 2014

REVIEWS!!!

Soooooo I'm a dummy and didn't read a book for this week, so that's getting relegated to FRIDAY this time. (Hopefully two days is enough to catch up on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).  Anyway, this Wednesday I'm going to talk about something that I have very little experience with, and that is MAKEUP, because I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO REVIEW TODAY.

I don't have a long history of makeup.  I only started wearing it regularly when I started attending college - and by 'regularly,' I mean 'on average, once a week; a bit more now that it's summer and I have time and resources.'  As I just finished my second year, my experience is still very limited. Keep that in mind. That being said, these are a few things that I have used and like; this includes makeup-y stuff and other things dealing with personal care (frequently aimed at women and priced way too high). All specific products are linked in the titles. None of this is sponsored.

1. SHANY GEL EYELINER
This is a thing my mom gave me for my birthday this year, and I actually really like it. I've only ever done liquid, pencil, or crayon liners before now - in other words, things that wield like a pencil. That being said, it is not that hard to get used to a brush.
I like this set for a few reasons. First of all, it gives you a bunch of color options, which is really nice, especially when I'm just in my room and trying to figure out what color is supposed to look good on me. Additionally, each little container of eyeliner is fairly small, so it's really nice for traveling. The colors stay on quite well (this is a good thing for me, because I have a tendency to touch my eyes a lot). Also, my eyes have a tendency to get irritated if I accidentally leave eyeliner or something on overnight, but that doesn't happen as much with this brand. This company is also nice because it doesn't do animal testing.
If you want eyeshadow-y stuff, go here. Their general website is here.

2. REVLON COLORBURST MATTE BALM
I'm not really a lip-color kind of person. It's partially because the whole "WHAT SHADE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?" question is even more confusing to me than it is when it comes to eyeshadow; the other part is that I don't necessarily like the feeling of lipstick, based on what I've had in shows. That being said, I like this. I don't wear this often, but I like it because it feels like lip balm, but it's not! I have no idea if this is the right color for my face, or whatever, but I like it. It's available in most drug stores, but the link in the heading for this bit is to the Revlon site.

3. SIMPLE FACE WASH
I have two of these: the SMOOTHING FACIAL SCRUB (the exfoliating one) and the MOISTURIZING one. They're really nice. I'm no expert of Face Wash Stuff, or what you're supposed to do with this, but I'm trying to switch off and use the moisturizer one night and the exfoliating one the next. So far, it seems to be doing well enough. I've gotten a little more acne, but I'm hoping that bringing in the exfoliating one is going to help with that. What's really nice is that this, too, has no animal-based ingredients. There's also an environmental concern that some brands have these EXFOLIATING BEADS in their face wash that are actually terrible for the environment; this avoids that by using rice granules instead. The link above is to the main website, but I got mine at Rite-Aid.

4. SUGAR SCRUBS - WHISPERING SPRINGS FARMS
So I was first introduced to sugar scrubs through my fraternity - we did small sugar scrubs as fundraisers for the last two semesters. They're designed as exfoliants, but you need to take really long showers because you're basically shaving your legs twice - once to get the hair off, and once after you've rubbed on the scrub so you can shave off all the dead skin. You'd think sugar scrubs would leave your skin feeling gross, but there's different sorts of oils in it - this one has coconut oil and vitamin E, and is scented with lemon. I've only used it once, because COMMUNITY SHOWERS (I respect the other people enough not to leave as much hair as I could), but it makes your legs feel super nice. They're especially useful in winter, when your skin gets dry and gross.







THIS IS THE END OF THE POST. I WILL HAVE A BOOK ON FRIDAY AND ON WEDNESDAY. SEE YOU THEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment