Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Old Friends in New Places

Today I went to a slightly different area from where I live to go check out some possible places to work/ volunteer for the rest of the summer. (If any of you have any ideas, please let me know.) It's not terribly far; only about half an hour by public transportation.
It was a long day. I got a lot of pretty yarn, two new books, an interesting lunch, and a tour of a historical place where I may volunteer later this summer. (Before you get on my back for buying new books, I did finish the book for this week. The review will be on Friday.)
The book shop was the last place I went - it was a spur of the moment sort of thing. I didn't know whether they were hiring. They hadn't posted anything saying they were. This was the first time I'd ever been in that used book shop in my life. I decided it was worth a shot because... well... USED BOOKS! It turned out to be a tiny store cramped with more books than could probably fit in the space. Well, let me rephrase that. Barnes and Noble probably has more books than this place, but this local shop is doing its level best to show how it can make up the difference. It's tiny, it's cramped, and I got two good-looking books for under $10 because USED BOOKS! (I may sell back old books there, actually).
Anyway, they don't need any help around there, but as I was finally heading back to the subway, someone said my name. Turns out it was one of my friends from the Turkey trip. By that, I don't mean he's a kid from my church or a kid from my college. He's from Turkey. He showed us around Istanbul last summer. And he's staying not terribly far away from me for a while during the summer.
It was one of the spectacular moments where I realized that if I hadn't taken the exact amount of time in the book shop that I did - if I hadn't gone into the bookstore at all - then I would have had no idea that he would be anywhere near me. THIS IS CRAZY.

That is my story for today. I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment