Thursday, October 3, 2013

Fall and Such

Greetings!

First of all, I owe you several apologies - first, for not finishing typing up the Turkey journals (I'll try and get to that soon, but I can make no certain promises); second, for not posting at all in September aside from those entries.  I know I should do better than that, and I'll certainly try, but I make no promises as to consistency of posts from here on out.

Secondly, An Update!  The first month of sophomore year has gone fairly well.  There were a few ups and several downs that have, thankfully, sorted themselves out.  Right now, I should be working on reading for my honors class (which focuses on the works of Cormac McCarthy), but, as you can tell, I'm not.  (For those who are about to yell at me for my procrastination, I would like to inform you that I still have until 12:00 to do this, because 12:00 is when I actually have to start classes today).

My classes are thus far actually kind of interesting.  The economics course I'm in is the sort of thing where you take the course to understand basic principles, but probably shouldn't switch your major because of it (I mean, unless you really wanted to).

Ancient Greek is... well... Ancient Greek.  Now that we're in Intermediate instead of Beginning Greek, the Intermediate students need to tutor the Beginning students.  My tutorees are cool; one picks things up fairly quickly and is taking it for her major; the other one is not taking it for her major and picks it up more slowly.  I enjoy working with them well enough, but I'm prouder of the second student, because she's still trudging through it despite the difficulty.

Math Modeling is kind of easy, to be honest.  It's picking up a bit now, but for the first month I was able to dance through the problems without much difficulty.  This is the sort of math that's a little bit above algebra; maybe it's easy to me because anything below AB calculus (which I took senior year of high school) feels like grade school.

The honors class I'm in, as I stated previously, focuses on Cormac McCarthy's works.  The first week, we read a bit of Suttree; since then, we've finished All the Pretty Horses and now we're working on Cities on the Plain (we skipped the middle book in The Border Trilogy for some reason).  It's a lot of reading - we have 75 pages and a journal entry due each class - but it's interesting stuff.  The difficulty in this is that it's very much a discussion-based course, and I don't do very well in discussion-based courses.  I don't really feel like I have anything to say; if I do come up with something, it never feels like it's relevant to the book at hand.

In addition to my actual credit-related courses, I'm also taking choir (which is great fun, because CHOIR) and juggling.  Juggling is harder than you'd expect; after a month of class, I can barely do the three-ball cascade.  Meanwhile, a good chunk of my peers are successfully pausing in the middle of their cascades and doing them overhand and successfully juggling multiple clubs (I can do one... at a time...) and other crazy things like that.

Anyhow, it's now time for me to sign off and actually start doing work.  I shall post... hopefully more often than I did last month.

HUZZAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment