Saturday, October 19, 2013

An Update (and apologies for my lack of posts)

Once again, I must apologize for my lack of posts. I should really develop some sort of schedule for doing this if I want to keep it up...

Anyway, classes are going well.  We got back from fall break earlier this week, which meant that there were only three days of classes.  WOOHOO SHORT SCHOOL WEEK!  It's now homecoming weekend, and in celebration, I'm doing... nothing of consequence.
Actually, that's not really true.  A friend of mine has released his first official album (It's called "The Turn of Autumn," and you should ALL GO LOOK IT UP ON ITUNES), and the school has decided that they're throwing him a release party during homecoming weekend.  YAY PUBLICITY!  (I would like to point out that our school is tiny, and my friend is really active in the school community, so I'm pretty sure the combination of the two resulted in the shindig in an hour).

In terms of actual academics, I have finally figured out the full capacity of Classical Greek verbs.  Actually, that's not really true.  I still need to keep a verb sheet with me at all times during the difficult translations, but the point remains that I have a better idea of Classical Greek verbs than I used to.  In the midst of conjugating verbs, we somehow got onto the topic of Oreos and the correct way to consume them.  The only guy in class yesterday apparently eats his Oreos by splitting the cookie, sticking a fork in the cream, and dunking it in milk.  The conclusion of the class was that Greek verbs are difficult and that the school should offer an Oreos and Ethics class.  (If there were such a thing as an Oreos and Ethics class, I would most certainly take it).

Speaking of classes I may or may not take, class registration is coming up soon.  My chance to sign up comes in ten days; in order to get all the classes I want, I'll be up half an hour early in order to actually get a spot.  Like the Hunger Games, the motto of class registration on all college campuses is "May the Odds be Ever in your Favor."  Why?  Well, the first half-hour is total mayhem and only those of the strongest Internet and fastest clicks will survive to reap the benefits of things like no morning classes, no classes on Fridays, and the ability to graduate on time.

Right now, the classes that are actually interesting and also pertain to my major are all on Tuesdays and Thursdays; unless I get one or both of my backups, I'm going to have zero classes two days a week (choir is on Mondays).  Luckily, one of those days is a FRIDAY!!  Even if I do get the backup that's a MWF class, I'll still be out of class by 10:20, so that's really nice.


In a complete change of subject, I've started working out the mechanics of the world I'll be writing in for National Novel Writing Month this year.  This is something I've never actually had to do; normally, I work in a realm based out of the standard fantasy world (Middle Earth is the basis for the standards); this time, however, I'm almost entirely leaving fantasy (but not quite entirely).  I'm working in a world that's a part of a Purgatory - the souls go there in order to redeem themselves somewhat in order to go to Heaven.  They do this by performing the same sort of Archetype (Naïve Female Heroine, Dashing Love Interest, Elderly Mentor, etc); the catch is that the Archetype is a type of person that is completely different from what the person was in life.  This raises questions like "what do you do to get into this level of purgatory?" and "how do you get assigned your gender, age, and genre?" and "is this world actually workable?" and "would excessive college drunkenness count on your soul's permanent record?" (I remind you that it's homecoming weekend.  There are overage alumni around.  Need I say more?)

Anyhow, I need to peace out to think about these important structural questions.  I may be back soon to explain them all to you.  I may not.

Either way, I'll try to be back for at least most of November, so that's a thing.

Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment