Friday, January 18, 2013

Scholarship days and noobs

I noticed an email in my school inbox the other day - it was telling the students with cars where they could and couldn't park tomorrow.  A few of my friends are campus ambassadors (read: tour guides) and have to work tomorrow.  Why?

Tomorrow is a scholarship day - I'm pretty sure it's a day where professors interview potential students for the Presidential Scholarship.  I remember that it was sometime in January, and it was a really rainy and gross that day.  We listened to a sermon series on Harry Potter on the way down, and then I talked to an English professor about writing and some other stuff.  When I got here, I'm pretty sure she recognized me, but she didn't say much.

It's going to be interesting seeing the prospective students for next year.  Sometimes it's really easy to pick them out, especially on open house days when they are doing tours EVERYWHERE.  You can still sometimes tell when there's a tour going on, if only because you see one of your friends walking backwards and talking to people you don't know, usually at least one of whom is over the age of forty.  Sometimes it's easy to pick out potential students because the sports teams will invite potential players to hang out with current players for the day, or something.

Tomorrow, it'll probably be easier to pick out the new kids - since it's an interview day, a good number of them will probably be dressed up, or at least dressed in something nicer than street clothes.  That doesn't always hold, though - one girl I did a workshop with last year was wearing essentially casual stuff.

What's kind of interesting is that I'm pretty sure I sat next to a kid I now know enough to wave to when I see him.  He's deaf, and he had the signers with him.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.  It'll be really interesting to play 'Spot the Potential Student.'  Actually, it won't be interesting; it'll be really easy.  Just find the ones with the nervous expressions and/ or church attire.  They'll be the ones sizing up the dining hall with quick, nervous glances, and they'll probably be eating with parents or other kids their age.

I can't believe I'm calling them 'kids.'  Well, I've called a lot of people 'kids' since I worked at a summer camp last summer, but still.  These are high school students.  I'm barely a year older than most of them. Ah, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment