Saturday, April 11, 2015

Running

I think it's safe to say that not many people find distance running particularly easy. Sure, certain distances are easier for certain people. A marathon runner is probably more qualified to do a 10-mile race than I am, because the longest I've ever gone is nine and a half.
I do think the challenge is necessary, though. There are always going to be marathon runners, and there are always going to be people who barely keep up. There will be people like my roommate, whose one-mile time is a minute and a half better than my one-mile time, because she's six inches taller and has longer legs. She doesn't do distance running, though, and I'm working on that. Neither is better or worse, it's just different.
Long-term challenges suck for everyone, but everyone has to learn how to find their stride. My one-mile time is around 10 minutes when I'm only doing 3 miles on the track. My time is around 11 minutes when the distance gets above 7 miles. It's endurance - a slower burn of energy over a longer period of time. Long-term challenges are similar - slower burns for longer outcomes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment