Monday, March 2, 2015

WRITING UPDATES!

I know I didn't post all of last week, and I apologize for that. I now, however, have THINGS TO TELL YOU ABOUT!

I'm starting to edit my NaNoWriMo 2011 novel. (By "edit," I mean "try to decipher my super-tiny handwriting in order to type it up, and then try and make it sound better than 50 Shades of Gray.") It's interesting to go back and see what I wrote and how I wrote it, seeing as this is my first novel.
Part of me is really excited to go back and reread what I wrote in my senior year of high school. The rest of me has seen the quality and is straining in the opposite direction.
To be fair, when 2020 rolls around, Future Me is probably going to say the same thing about the writing I'm doing now. Maybe even this blog post. I don't know.

This is an interesting opportunity to look back, though, because I'm editing it as someone who will be 21 next month, who has two semesters of Shakespeare courses behind her, eight semesters of college, and several journalism courses now behind me. I also have several friends who are writing tutors who can help me through the process.
If 19-year-old me were editing this, I doubt there would be much improvement. The rambling sentences would still be around. So would the extraneous characters and the dialogue points that don't suit the character speaking them.
Now, in other words, I actually have something to go off of.

No comments:

Post a Comment