Monday, September 15, 2014

On NaNoWriMo

So I got my idea for National Novel Writing Month 2014 last week. The plot is basically like Beauty and the Beast, except Beast (actually named Galen) is a former inventor (currently a dragon) and Beauty (here named Eva) only has one arm. Currently, I have about four ideas about how it can end, and I can't decide which of them to use. Two of them involve some sort of dramatic, Disney-style reunion where all sorts out okay, and the other two involve the female lead's memory getting wiped and nothing working out because of it. (At the same time, her memory getting wiped could wind up with a sequel.)
So that's my idea. I'm working on plotting the middle, which is always the hardest part for me. I know how I want the beginning to go. I know that someone in Eva's family is not going to like the fact that she is developing a positive relationship with a dragon. I know that person is going to inevitably react poorly when they find out that Eva is willingly staying with a dragon. I know I don't want Eva to have any magical ability, but I don't know how big a deal that is in her world yet. I do know at least one member of her family will have magic - most likely, that person is the one that reacts poorly to the whole dragon thing. I know Galen is rather self-centered for a while, but I don't know how self-centered and for how long. I don't know whether his human form has magic.
Also, I may have Galen try and make Eva a new arm. But that's only a maybe. After all, it's kind of difficult to build anything wood-based when you're a dragon.

So that's all I have for you right now. What's your favorite fairy tale?

No comments:

Post a Comment