Friday, September 26, 2014

On being backup

It's time for story time with Wild Card!

I have a friend, J, who is going on a first date tonight with a young man whom we shall call D. (This isn't supposed to be a sexual entendre. We're going by first initials here.)
In order to be good friends, I went with another friend, S, to meet D with J. S and I were functioning as a cross between J's parents and her backup mob in case D turned out to be some sort of creeper that made J really uncomfortable.
So we all went to the commons to meet D, and it turned out that D is very nice. He greeted J with a hug and then awkwardly hugged S and me as well. We all hung out for a few minutes to get acquainted with D.
It got to the point where D mentioned that maybe he should have brought a friend too - that was my cue to turn and let J and D do some date-y thing.
I turned to S and proceeded to gently pull her away towards our dorm.
"Wait, no, I haven't threatened him yet!" She protested, pulling out a key.
"S, we don't threaten nice people," I told her, and I started to pull her away again.
"I do!" She said, and I kept pulling her out gently.
When we finally got out of the commons and into the dorm, we grinned at each other. "I liked him," I said. "I liked the exit. We should do that more often."

And that was how S and I became the resident Romantic Partner Screening Committee for our group of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment