Monday, March 18, 2013

On writing things

I'm pretty sure I'm brain-dead for ideas right now, and it's not fun.  I have to write a script for my First-Year course, as I mentioned, and five pages are due later this week.
The five pages aren't the problem.  The problem lies in the fact that I'm not really sure where I want to go from those five pages.  I have a general idea of where I want to go, but I keep wanting to change it and fix it and make it not suck as much as I sometimes think it does.
This, I believe, is what is called the 'creative process.'  Or, rather, 'procrastinating on the creative process.'  Once you get the idea, go for it, I'd say.  If you stop, you start to doubt yourself.

So, as a piece of advice for all those who are undertaking any sort of major writing project in the immediate future: start, don't stop, and keep going at all costs.  Your muse will thank you later.  Even though your sleep cycle may be messed up (as mine currently is, thanks to a Greek test), and your writing might suck, it's easier to work on continuity and such if you have everything there.

On that note, I need to go to the library and study some Greek and write a play.

No comments:

Post a Comment