Wednesday, June 10, 2015

so I went on a hiatus...

Greetings, fair readers!

Let's talk shop for a moment, shall we?

First, I basically took a hiatus for pretty much the whole month of May. And also part of the month of June. It was completely unannounced. I apologize for that. There is no excuse for my lack of posting (except for last week, because finals). Therefore, for the month of June, I'm going to try to FIVE POSTS A WEEK. (This is only going to be for the month of July, and possibly the month of August, too). I might not succeed. I'm not going to say, "Monday through Friday," or anything like that. I'm just going to do five posts a week. I'm going to try and post a few more times in June, but I might not; I haven't fully decided yet.

Secondly, here will be a semester round-up:

THINGS WILD CARD LEARNED THIS TERM:

ACADEMICS:

Judas didn't repent, and Matthew was writing in context.

The fascinating thing about Matthew's account of Judas's death is a cross-reference to the account of Achitophel's death in 2 Samuel.

British poets in the Victorian era were as obsessed with chastity as everyone thinks.

However, there was an exploration of sexuality and chastity and stuff.

Writing journalism is hard but also important.

I have a tendency to critique the headlines in pop/ gossip magazines and blogs now. I always knew they were crap, but now I know why. (most of the time, it's because they're all "OMG! THIS FEMALE CELEBRITY'S FASHION/ BODY CHOICES!" and are way too wordy).

Indiana Jones is a terrible archaeologist.

Archaeology is fascinating. A small part of me wishes I still had time to study it as a major. However, since that's not feasible, I'm stuck being curious about EVERYTHING for the rest of my life. (Everyone says that's a good thing to do, but I'm not so sure. It means I pursue SO MANY THINGS and don't choose one).


OTHER THINGS:

Sometimes people are dumb in really big ways. At what point is forgiveness feasible? At what point is it completely out of the question? If it is out of the question, how should you react - public shaming? Ignoring the person?
How should you treat the person who chooses to forgive them? What do you disclose if someone has noticed a change in behavior, but asks why?

Personally, I tend to favor cautious second chances. I also favor taking time to explain terms and conditions, once I figure out what those are. I like everyone being on the same page about things, and knowing why.

Also, if it happens to be your birthday, and someone you don't often hang out with makes you a cake, but the people you hang out more with don't make you a cake, then you should definitely spend the evening with the people who make you cake. If someone puts the effort into making you a cake, their feelings about you probably equate to at least $10 and baking time. If the people you normally hang out with don't even make you paper cards, then your options might want to swing in favor of the cake people (unless the other group explains that they are so broke that they could not pool together for colored pencils and printer paper. That's a valid reason for not making you cards or cake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment